2020 Property Change Reviews
The Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assessment Department will be reviewing dwellings that have new construction, remodel, additions, and other changes from October through December of 2020.
During the property change reviews, the Borough appraisers will be driving around taking pictures, measuring structures and adjusting for any changes to the property. The appraisers will be wearing blue reflective safety vests.
Welcome to the Ketchikan Gateway Borough’s Assessment Department
The Assessment Department accurately classifies and values all property in a uniform manner while treating ever property owner fairly and providing clear, accurate, and timely information. This site is designed to serve the public with the following:
- Online access to ownership information through the property search
- Online forms
- News and deadline information
The Assessor annually notices and administers over 8,400 real property parcels and 700 business personal accounts. In accordance with the Alaska State Law and Borough Code, The Ketchikan Gateway Borough (KGB) Assessor's Office is responsible for the following duties:
- Maintaining current property ownership information for real property and business personal property (KGB Code 4.45.160)
- Physically inspecting real property every four years
- Analyzing real estate trends
- Updating property characteristics
- Administering property tax exemption programs as authorized by Alaska law
It is required by Alaska law to calculate the market value of real property and business personal property. Borough-wide reassessment take place every four years. While property values listed on the assessment rolls are used to calculate annual property taxes, the Assessor does not set the tax rates, calculate the amount of your taxes, or collect the taxes.